Handheld cell use illegal when driving

Illicit Discharge/Drainage Reporting

Report Illicit Discharge/Drainage into NDOT Right-of-Way

Illicit Discharge 2 25%

Help Protect Nevada Water Quality

NDOT is reaching out to the public for assistance with identifying and reporting illicit discharges within the Department’s state road right-of-way. This information will be beneficial in the ongoing effort to reduce non-storm water illicit discharges that can impair the quality of water in our lakes, rivers and streams.

Stormwater Quality Manual--Field Guide for Illicit Discharge Detection and Elimination Section 1

Stormwater Management NDOT News Story

Stormwater Management Brochure 

What is an Illicit Discharge

An illicit discharge is anything entering a stormdrain system that is not composed entirely of stormwater.  Illicit discharges may occur during a rainstorm, but can also occur during dry weather when pollutants are carried along with irrigation water.  Sprinklers can wash pesticides, fertilizers and weed killers from our gardens and lawns.  Detergents, oils and grease from washing your car can also contribute to illicit discharge.  Some illicit discharges may be the result of illegal activities such as dumping materials into stormdrains or connecting waste water pipe into a storm drain.   The best way to prevent illicit discharges is by preventing materials from entering the storm drain system through education and enforcing prohibitions on illicit discharges and improper dumping. 

How to Report an Illicit Discharge

If a potential illicit discharge is identified within NDOT's right-of-way, contact NDOT Environmental Services, Water Quality Section at (775) 888-7013. The following are questions you will be asked:

  1. What is the location? (The more detail the better, i.e. road number, milepost, intersection, etc.)
  2. What is the description of the discharge? (dry weather flow, odor or discoloration, visible contaminants, etc.)
  3. What is the discharge frequency? (continuous - almost all the time, intermittent - occasional, transitory - rarely occurring)
  4. What is the source of the discharge? (Do you have an idea of where the illicit discharge may be coming from?)
  5. Is the illicit substance discharging into a waterway or a storm sewer system? 

Your information will be used to document and initiate the investigation. NDOT appreciates your help in assisting with this monitoring effort and looks forward to partnering with the public to protect water quality for the great state of Nevada!


NDOT Environmental Services Water Quality Section
Please contact NDOT's Environmental Services Water Quality Section should any reportable spill or release occur within NDOT's right-of-way. 
(775) 888-7013

NV Division of Environmental Protection - Spill Reporting Hotline
In addition, a pollutant spill of any quantity that affects a Nevada waterway must be reported to the Nevada Division of Environmental Protection's (NDEP) spill reporting hotline.
Please visit the spill reporting hotline webpage for information regarding pollutant spills, releases, and spill reporting information. 

Environmental Protection Agency Region 9 Water Program
Contact the EPA Region 9 Water Program