Handheld cell use illegal when driving

Road Closure: D1~East Lake Mead Blvd/SR147: Closed in the area of Pecos Road (North Las Vegas, Nevada)   More Detail.


Report Illicit Discharge/Drainage into NDOT Right-of-Way

Illicit Discharge 2 25%

Help Protect Nevada Water Quality

NDOT is reaching out to the public for assistance with identifying and reporting illicit discharges within the Department’s state road right-of-way. This information will be beneficial in the ongoing effort to reduce non-storm water illicit discharges that can impair the quality of water in our lakes, rivers and streams.

What is an Illicit Discharge?

Illicit Discharge 2 25% 


An illicit discharge refers to a discharge to a municipal separate storm sewer system (in this case, NDOT’s storm sewer system) that contains something other than rain water or snow melt. There are a few exceptions, examples would be, discharges from firefighting activities, natural springs, foundation drains, air conditioning condensation, lawn irrigation, wetland or riparian flows, de-chlorinated swimming pool water or individual car washing activities. Before an illicit discharge can be identified, we must first know what we are looking for. The following will help in the identifying process:


  • Dry-Weather Flow – Is there a flow within a storm drain, roadway ditch or other appurtenance within NDOT right-of-way, during dry weather?
  • Foul Odor/Discoloration – Is there a location within NDOT right-of-way, around a storm drain, within a roadside ditch, or other appurtenance, where an odor or discoloration is identifiable?
  • Contaminants – Are there visible signs of contaminants such as a sheen on top of the flow, floatable materials or turbidity (clarity of water) in a storm drain, roadway ditch or other appurtenance within NDOT right-of-way?

How to Report an Illicit Discharge

If a potential illicit discharge is identified within NDOT's right-of-way, contact NDOT Environmental Services, Water Quality Section at (775) 888-7013. The following are questions you will be asked:

  1. What is the location? (The more detail the better, i.e. road number, milepost, intersection, etc.)
  2. What is the description of the discharge? (dry weather flow, odor or discoloration, visible contaminants, etc.)
  3. What is the discharge frequency? (continuous – almost all the time, intermittent – occasional, transitory – rarely occurring)
  4. What is the source of the discharge? (Do you have an idea of where the illicit discharge may be coming from?)

Your information will be used to document and initiate the investigation. NDOT appreciates your help in assisting with this monitoring effort and looks forward to partnering with the public to protect water quality for the great state of Nevada!

Spill Reporting Hotline- NV Division of Environmental Protection

In addition, a pollutant spill of any quantity that affects a Nevada waterway must be reported to the Nevada Division of Environmental Protection’s (NDEP) spill reporting hotline.  Please visit the spill reporting hotline webpage for information regarding pollutant spills, releases, and spill reporting information.  In addition, please contact NDOT’s Environmental Services Water Quality Section should any reportable spill or release occur within NDOT’s right-of-way.



NDOT Environmental Services Water Quality Section

(775) 888-7013